Loading...

Fabulous reversible shopping bag!

Some of my most favorite projects are the ones where I get to combine my new found love of sewing and my cricut. How can it get any better than that! I wanted to get my fairy godmother a little something. I know she doesn't need anything but I just want her to know that she is loved. So for Christmas I decide to make her a swanky new monogrammed shopping bag. Yet another thing I want to make for myself! Mine are old and starting to tear the clerks look at them with distaste! Well they won't look like that when I walk in with one of these beauties! I made this awhile ago so I will try my best to remember all of the instructions!





Supplies:
about 3/4 yard fabric in two different coordinating fabrics
Scissors
Thread
Pins
Tape Measure

1. First you can use a bag that you already have as a template. Fold it flat and measure the front, and the bottom, and the gusset(I am no seamstress but I am pretty sure that is what the side is called when it folds in)

2. I transferred those measurements onto paper since I knew I would be making these in mass quantities

(sorry for the cruddy picture it is dark in the highest tower!)

3. Cut out your pieces. You will need a front, a back, 2 sides, 1 bottom and then enough to make handles. You will do this for both of your fabrics. Make sure to either adjust your pattern by 1/2 inch on each side before you cut or make sure you cut 1/2 wider than your pattern pieces on the fabric to allow for your seam allowance.

3b. If you want to add the optional monogram you should do this before you start sewing all the pieces together. To do this you will apply iron on adhesive to the back of your material. Then you run it through your cricut just as you would paper. Then following the manufactures instructions you apply your letter to your bag. I used sewable adhesive because I like to go back over the letter once it is on the bag with an applique stitch to really make it look finished.

4. Once you have your fabric pieces you will place one of sides right sides together on the front piece and pin in place, then do the same with the other side. Next attach the back to that side making sure all of the right sides are facing each other. Then attach the back to the side you started with.

5. Sew your sides creating a big open rectangle. Do the same for both sets of fabric. Then attach the bottom with the right sides all still facing together. You are almost done. Sorry I don't have a picture for this one.

6. Now we need to make our straps. I used 4 pieces of fabric 2 inches wide and about 20 inches long you can adjust this however you would like. Place 2 of the pieces with the right sides together and pin. Sew a small seam along this side. Now unfold it and turn it so the wrong sides are now together. Turn a small seam allowance under on both pieces of fabric, pin and sew. Now I know I could have just sew both sides while the right sides were facing in, but have you tried to turn a tiny tube inside out???? PAIN in the you know what! I did sew a few extra lines in the middle of my handle to make it sturdy.


7. Now you should have two bags and two handles. You will want to take the inside bag and place it inside the outside(wow that is clear as mud). It will make sense when you are doing
it. Fold the top of each bag down and to the inside. This will give you a nice clean hem at the top. Pin all the way around with the exception of where you are putting your handles. You will need to slip that between your two bags where they have been folded down and pinned in place. Now just sew all the way around and your all done. You might want to sew and few extra lines where your handles are connected to give them strength.

Happy sewing!
sewing 6574602114003319398

Post a Comment

emo-but-icon

Home item

Advertise in the House of Sass

.

Popular Posts